Friday, August 3, 2007

Tuan and Caitlin for a Day!

So, I didn't volunteer today. Instead I hung out with Tuan and Caitlin, who were back for just today in between taking the train from Varanasi to Puori. I kinda did hang out with them, but they spent a lot of time calling and emailing, in which I spent doing what I normally do when I have nothing else to do...nothing. So I read a little of The Message, seeing as how I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince about 3 or 4 days ago, and outright refuse to by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows no sooner than 48 hours before I leave. I know if I buy it sooner than that, I will have read it by the time Caitlin and Tuan get back, and I won't have anything to do on the way home.

So I chilled with them a little today, heard tales from beyond Kolkata, and ate lunch with Caitlin at Super Fried Chicken. That was pretty much the extent of today...not much else happened.

Yesterday, on the other hand, was rather eventful. Or yesterday evening, I guess. Thursdays are Volunteers Days, so we get the day off. I didn't do anything yesterday...I slept in, and did nothing, and slept some more, then I had lunch (it was excellent, by the way...cold juice and a fruit bowl with muesli from JoJo's, except that my fear of associating the dump smell with something I like has managed to wrap itself wonderfully around Papaya...it tastes the exact same way that the dump smells, it SUCKS). That evening, I was headed for Super-Fried Chicken for some Veggie Pakuras, and I saw Amina and some of her friends. I ended up going with them to Peter Cat on Park Street for dinner that cost over 3 times more than a nights stay at Hotel Maria, but oh, it was SOOOO GOOD! After that, we walked into Flurry's, which is this amazing desert place, but we looked around and decided that we are going to go there sometime this weekend. I'm also taking Amina to McDonald's sometime this weekend, which I am very, very excited about :)
Anyway, we walked back, and we were going to get ice cream, but it was too close to 10, so we did some stuff really quick, and then walked to Amina's hotel to watch Arrested Development. Its not something I would usually watch, but it was TV, gosh darnit. Amina's hotel is SO NICE! She lives on the 4th floor, and its all marble...she has a DOUBLE BED!!! A TV, a really nice bathroom...she is spending about 450 rupees a night (whereas I'm spending 110 a night), but its...man. She has a freaking couch. Its outstanding.

So, this has taken me almost 2 hours, because the power at Sari Palace went out came back on about 20 minutes ago. But...meh. I'm hot and tired and I want to watch friends on YouTube. So I love you guys and ONE WEEK! I'll be back in the states!'

Until Next Time
Briana

3 comments:

Margaret said...

We don't know each other, but I was doing a Google search and came up with your blog. I live in Bellingham and spent two weeks in Kolkata in 1997 (it was still Calcutta then) with a group from my church working with the Missionaries of Charity at Prem Dan, Khaligat, Shishu Bhavan, etc. Reading your blog definitely takes me back and awakened some awesome, emotional memories! I'm going to bookmark it so I can read all your entries - when I have time to really focus.

Princesstmk said...

Hello Briana, I am glad you are enjoying your time in India. I miss you! Are you going to call again? I have not heard from my only sister in a long time. Anyways my mom leaves for Germany on Wensday. I am excited to see you and to hear more about your adventure. I love you, be safe, have fun, and enjoy your last few days.
I love you

Love Tanja

snowpea57 said...

margaret -

that is so awesome! im really happy you found my blog and i would love you to read it! shishu bhavan is definitely my favorite place ever...im goin to miss it a lot. i leave in 3 days, so im sorry that there wont be a whole lot more to read about, but if you go to kolkata2007mc.blogspot.com, my friend tuan has been here since june, and leaves closer to the tail end of august. he blogs almost every day. thanks for commenting!

tanaja -
i probably wont call again - sorry! i might call briefly to talk to your mom to see if we can meet while shes at the airport, but other than that i have to call laura to tell her when im leaving for the airport, and i have to call some doctors offices to get my blood tested and get check for lice and scabies and the like. i will call you when i am back in the states, though, when i get to charolette. 3 days left! love you