Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Little Homesick

Hey, all! Sorry its been so long since I last posted. Since Caitlin and Tuan left, I have been keeping myself quite busy. I made new friends - the best of whom are Donna, from Ireland, and Amina, from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I volunteer with Amina in the morning, and I know Donna through Tuan and Caitlin, and volunteer with her in the afternoon, sometimes.

I had Dinner with Donna and her boyfriend after Mazie and Zach's going away thing. It was quite entertaining - I had never spoken with just two people from Ireland before, and we talked about how things are different in Ireland and the USA, mostly having to do with alcohol, for some reason. Probably because everything in Ireland has to do with alcohol. They use it to relax, to...drink, to cure illness, to eat for breakfast...we had some pretty interesting stories.

Yesterday afternoon, after volunteering in the morning, I had lunch with Amina outside of JoJo's. It was really good, and we talked about all kinds of stuff, mostly family, and how both of ours are a little dysfunctional (as I'm assuming everyone's is). We had a very nice chat, and I hope there are more where that came from.

Nothing incredibly interesting has happened in the last few days besides the usual. Yesterday was the first day I volunteered in the morning and the afternoon. I planned on doing that today as well, but I overslept past the time where I was even supposed to be at Shishu, so I didn't go. Its 1:24 in the afternoon, and at 2 I am going to go eat lunch and drudge my way to Shishu Bhavan. I don't know if I've said this before, but if I didn't have to walk everywhere, I would love it here 10 times more. Its not the walking that bothers me, I love walking; its the fact that people don't leave you alone, that as a girl I can't make eye contact with anyone, and the smells and sounds are getting to be overwhelming. Today is the first official day that I am homesick. I don't want to leave Shishu behind, but I really want Bellingham back. I wish there were a way to have both. I want to come back next summer, and if it weren't for Shishu Bhavan and the Motherhouse, I would have never seen a purpose in coming.

I am very happy to be leaving in a weeks time, but I am going to miss those kids more than anything, especially Deepa. If I were old enough, had a steady job, was married...I would take her home with me. I truely and honestly would. If she is still here when I am married, I might still just do that. That child has lit a fire in my heart. She is so beautiful and so smart, and she has the most gorgeous laugh...I will miss her more than anything when I leave here. And I really hope that God sees it fit that we see eachother again someday, and sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Laura said...

so i take it that mazie got better and went home with zach?

i know how you feel about wanting to combine the two places. i loved the people in jackson and really want to stay there but its too hot for me and too flat. i think though, that once we get plugged into our places of work or find somewhere here to volunteer then we can experience that same sense of community and meet some amazing people right here in seattle/bham.

see you in a week!